In 1968, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his life while standing alongside sanitation workers on strike in Memphis, Tennessee. Today, UPS pays lip service to the legacy of Dr. King while mocking his dream of worker dignity and equal pay for equal work. The International has assembled this toolkit of materials for local unions to use at rallies, parking lot meetings, and leafletting actions at UPS locations on Martin Luther King Day (January 16, 2023). We urge all UPS locals to take action and show the company that Teamsters are united in the fight for a strong contact.
In this toolkit:
- “Make UPS Deliver on the Dream” Fliers
- Social Media Graphics
- Rally Signs
- Instructions for Sharing Action Photos & Videos
“Make UPS Deliver on the Dream” Fliers
Social Media Graphics
Sample Social Media Text for Facebook, Instagram, etc.
In 1968, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his life while standing alongside sanitation workers on strike in Memphis, Tennessee. Today, UPS pays lip service to the legacy of Dr. King while mocking his dream of worker dignity and equal pay for equal work. The company’s hollow tributes to the civil rights leader attempt to hide the fact that it runs an enterprise of pay discrimination and unlivable wages.
If UPS truly respected Dr. King, it wouldn’t rake in tens of billions of dollars in profit while subjecting our part-timers to low wages. It would not segregate drivers by pay scales and classifications. It would end its unfair discipline and surveillance of workers, stop the relentless harassment, and no longer force overtime on its workers.
If Dr. King were alive today, he would be standing with UPS Teamsters as we fight for the strong contract that every UPS member deserves. That’s why UPS Teamsters are united, mobilized and ready to take bold action to put UPS on its knees when negotiations begin. This is OUR year. It’s time to end low pay for part-timers, two-tier 22.4 wages, unfair discipline, harassment, and forced overtime!
Click below to download graphics
Note: Rally signs are being shipped to UPS locals. We have provided print-ready rally sign files here in case you need to print your own.
18″ x 12″
These files can be sent to any local printer. If you need help finding a local printer, click here to use the Graphic Communications Conference “Find a Union Printer” tool.
The following guidelines for printing should be shared with the printer you use:
• Sign size: 18″ x 12″
• Each sign – four in total – is double-sided
• The signs are full color, full bleed
Your local can decide to print all available signs or only select the ones you think will make the biggest impact with your UPS members. Let the printer know the quantity you need printed for each sign.
Share Photos & Videos from Your UPS Actions
Show UPS that the Teamsters are building a powerful, coordinated movement to win a strong contract. Follow the instructions below for submitting photos and videos from your local union’s actions. The Teamsters will feature content from actions happening in every region of the country across the International’s social media platforms.
To submit image or video files from your phone:
- CLICK HERE to upload files and indicate your local union and location of the action. OR…
- Open the UPS Teamsters app and click on “Share Action Photos/Videos.” Upload your files and indicate your local union. OR…
- Email your files to UPSvictory@teamster.org. Remember to include your local union, as well as the UPS center/location where the action took place.
- If you are sending video files, please keep them short — no longer than one minute and no larger than 50 MB.
- For photos, move in close to the action; avoid taking photos from a faraway distance.
- When possible, rotate your phone sideways/horizontal to avoid vertical image and video files.