In 2023, we made history. Teamsters mobilized in overwhelming numbers in every state in the country and won the strongest contract ever at UPS. Thanks to our unity, discipline, and painstaking organizing, we built a credible strike threat that shook Corporate America. Together, we forced UPS to deliver hard-earned and long overdue wage increases and other game-changing protections.
But strong contracts mean nothing without enforcement. The only way to enforce our new contract is the same way we won it: through a committed and engaged membership. The materials in this toolkit are designed to help UPS Teamster locals engage and empower the rank-and-file to play an active role in contract enforcement, beginning with a focus on payroll errors and new increases in penalty pay.
UPS is notorious for short-changing our members, especially during peak. This toolkit provides guidance on enforcing the contract and making sure our members are getting the penalty pay to which they are entitled. We must encourage all members to read the contract and learn how to use it.
The International urges locals to distribute these materials to your business agents and shop stewards – and be on the lookout for future toolkits that will focus on enforcing other gains in the new contract.
In this toolkit:
- Contract Enforcement Trainings
- Rally Signs
- Social Media Graphics
- Sharing Contract Enforcement Action Photos & Videos
Contract Enforcement Trainings
The Teamsters Training and Grants Department has launched a program for locals to educate business agents, stewards, and rank-and-filers on contract enforcement at UPS. This five-hour program includes an overview of:
- Best practices for new hire orientations
- Enforcing language against supervisors working
- Information for stewards on grievance reform and grievance writing
- Penalty pay
- Supplemental issues
- And more!
If your local is interested in hosting a Contract Enforcement Training by the International, please reach out to the Training and Grants Department at (202) 624-8724.
Click below to download files
These files can be sent to any local printer. If you need help finding a local printer, click here to use the Graphic Communications Conference “Find a Union Printer” tool.
The following guidelines for printing should be shared with the printer you use:
• Sign size: 18″ x 12″
• Each sign – four in total – is double-sided
• The signs are full color, full bleed
Social Media Graphics
Sample Social Media Text for Facebook, Instagram, etc.
This summer, we made history by mobilizing and winning the strongest UPS Teamsters contract ever. Together, we built a credible strike threat that forced UPS to deliver hard-earned and long overdue wage increases and other game-changing protections. But strong contracts require a committed and engaged membership.
It’s up to all of us to enforce the contract and hold the company to all of the gains we secured. This is true all year round and throughout the life of the agreement – and it’s especially true now. UPS is notorious for rampant payroll errors during peak. Fortunately, Article 17 in our new contract includes substantial increases in penalty pay for such errors.
If you are a part-timer taking advantage of new work as a Seasonal Support Driver (SSD), remember UPS must pay you your inside rate or RPCD start rate, whichever is higher, and you must be paid the proper mileage reimbursement rate for SSD work (see Article 26 Section 1).
If you experience any payroll errors or violations of the above, talk to your shop steward about filing grievances under Article 26 Section 1 and claim increased payroll penalties under Article 17. Go to your UPS Teamsters app to read Article 17 and Article 26.
Read the contract and learn how to use it to protect your rights! ✊
– Click below to download graphics –
Share Photos & Videos from Your Contract Enforcement Actions
Follow the instructions below for submitting photos and videos from your local union’s actions. We will feature content from UPS local union contract enforcement actions on the International’s social media platforms.
To submit image or video files from your phone:
- CLICK HERE to upload files and indicate your local union and location of the action. OR…
- Open the UPS Teamsters app, click on the ≡ menu icon on the top left of the screen, and select “Share Action Photos/Videos.” Upload your files and indicate your local union. OR…
- Email your files to UPSvictory@teamster.org. Remember to include your local union, as well as the UPS center/location where the action took place.
- If you are sending video files, please keep them short — no longer than one minute and no larger than 50 MB.
- For photos, move in close to the action; avoid taking photos from a faraway distance.
- When possible, rotate your phone sideways/horizontal to avoid vertical image and video files.