Eight Teamster drivers are among a group that will travel the country over the next year to spread messages of safe driving and to teach about the trucking industry. The eight Teamsters are among 22 drivers named as America’s Road Team Captains by the American Trucking Associations. The 22 drivers were selected among 2,000 candidates. In addition to safety, the drivers will educate the public and policymakers about the trucking industry and job opportunities—serving as ambassadors of the industry.
“It’s a great honor to be selected,” said Jeff Rose, a driver at Yellow Corporation and member of Local 24 in Ohio. “It’s good to be able to discuss trucking safety and help promote the industry on a national level.”
Rose, a 30-year Teamster, has 38 years driving experience and 3.7 million accident-free miles. He was named Ohio Driver of the Year in 2019.
“Being a Teamster has helped provide me with a great life,” Rose said.
The 22 drivers have a combined driving experience of 564 years, and nearly 46 million accident-free miles.
Other Teamsters named as Road Team Captains by the association are:
- Bob Bramwell, ABF Freight System, Local 41, Missouri;
- Michael Buck, Yellow, Local 886, Oklahoma;
- Teddy Butler, ABF, Local 728, Georgia;
- Kevin Byrnes, UPS, Local 177, New Jersey;
- Richard Frazer, Yellow, Local 325, Illinois;
- Salvador Gonzalez, TForce Freight; Local 385, Florida;
- Derrick Thorpe, TForce Freight; Local 641, New Jersey.